'Can't Help Falling In Love' : Part 1

"So you are happy?" he finally interjected.

She was relieved. How much more babbling could she do? She knew she had the gift of the gab but pretending to be overly happy about his upcoming marriage was exhausting. She had enough. She massaged her aching cheeks. Maybe she did go slightly overboard with the smile. Slightly? Well maybe a bit more than necessary. Necessary? She shook her head, she was even tired from her inner chatter.

"I asked you a question." His voice thundered across the spacious jeep.

"Why shouldn't I be? Everything has worked well. I've done a good job, wouldn't you agree. You should be thrilled. Nani has accepted Lavanya. Anjali is happy that finally you are settling down. Mamiji can now finally look for a girl for Akash sir and you are making Lavanya into a decent woman. And now that my job is finished, you wont be seeing my face anymore. So everyone has got what he or she wanted. I'm overly ecstatic. Aren't you?" She glanced sideways at her dashingly handsome driver and immediately noticed the increased grip around the steering wheel.

"I suppose if you put it that way. I'm over the moon," he stated as a matter-of-fact.

"Excellent" she copied his tone. Lard Governor! Why did he have to make it so difficult? She wondered as she pretended to study the not-so-interesting car window.

Maybe she should not have confronted him about the payal and what it all meant. But she honestly didn't know why he had acted that way until it was way too late. He had said that he did not want to see her face. He even told her to leave him alone. She should have headed the warning but no, part of her wanted him to tell her what she had already suspected after the fight scene. But maybe she went slightly overboard. He was not ready. She now saw it. His eyes. They changed. She recognized them: cold, dark without a flicker of warmth. How many times had she seen those eyes?! ASR was back. And now the stage set and in the process shredding her into tiny pieces.

She felt the heaviness in her eyes and immediately looked up. Please Devi mayaa help me. How much more of this can I take? Please. First my parents and then babuji and now him. Him? why him? I have no right. He is Lavanya's and today he confirms that. So why do I feel this way? Is this why I'm being punished? Tell me and I will forever repent but please I don't think I have any more strength. What should I do?

"If you were so happy, why were you crying Khushi?" he broke her chain of thoughts. His voice softening slightly.

"When?" she blinked several times. He had no right to ask her that but she welcomed the distraction.
The silence only accelerated her inner chatter.

"This evening?"

"Tears of happiness" what do you think smartass?

"Happiness?"

"Yes. The feeling one gets when everything goes their way. I honoured my contract with AR and today was my last night at RM. Definitely something to be happy about don't you think. You don't have to see my face ever again and I'm not going to see yours. Absolutely perfect." She hoped he was unaware of her voice weakening, but she was not that lucky.

"You are angry Khushi."

"Me - angry? Why? Did you do something that I should be angry about?" Khushi looked at him, waiting. Part of her now felt charged up. And then it dawned on her - he had no where to hide. Her large hazel eyes widened. "Since it was my last day, can I ask for a goodbye present?"

"It depends"

"No it doesn't. It's either a yes or no. Or are you, Mr Arnav Singh Raizada afraid you will not be able to fulfill your end of the contract?" She challenged him.

"Arnav Singh Raizada is never afraid of anything. What is it you want Khushi Kumari Gupta? How much more money?"

Khushi ignored the final remark. The word afraid seem to rattle her. He was afraid!!! He changed after that! She kept pushing, wanting answers. But he couldn't give it not because he didn't know. He was just afraid of what that would mean!!! She thought back to when they first met, he was definitely ASR: rude as ever. But not when he was with Anjali or the little girl in the mandir, a softer side emerged then. And she had seen that softer side for her too ' in Nainital when she was ill, when he fought for her but then he become cold and heartless when she again confronted him about his behaviour in the car. And then the hospital and then today. He is frightened of having a connection so that's why he runs away. But when he thinks she is hurt in some way, he is not able to stay away.  

Could that be it Devi Mayaa?

He is afraid. Bless! She could not help but smile. Now it made perfect sense. When he is afraid, he got angry and usually made decisions too harshly. Was tonight a similar example? Please no.

But what is he afraid of?

 "Khushi. What is it you want? I haven't all day to wait for you finishing your conversation with yourself. I've got to drop you home and then go back to mine. You know Lavanya is waiting."
Again she let that last remark slip. ASR was certainly predictable and she was pleased she had him where she wanted him. She just needed to make sure he took the final bait.

"It does not matter. You wont deliver anyway." She pretended to reposition her saree appropriately.

"Are we not near my home yet? Traffic or you were driving slowly?" she spoke coldly, though she was internally buzzing. She has finally figured out part of Arnavji-ASR. What she would do with it, she was not sure but there was an increased fluttering in her heart. Hope? for what? that he may feel the same way?! Would it make a difference? she didnt know but she wanted answers and she was for the first time, going to get it.

"You have my word."

"Pukka?" She saw him nod. "Pinky swear?"

"What?"

"Pinky swear." She shook her little finger at him.

"No"

"Ouch" she touched her foot.

"Are you ok Khushi?" instinctly his left hand reach for her as he struggled to pay attention to his driving.

"Why should it matter to you? Pinky swear?"

He raised his eyes and shook his head. "Fine. Pinky swear."

"Now what is it you want? I haven't got all day."

She smiled "Why did you keep my payal?"



Part 2

1 comment: